We are proud to announce another event for April 16th – 19th, 2015. This event is structured a bit different from the Salt Lake City, Utah 2014 event. Included in your registration fee, you’ll have the opportunity to take classes taught by extraordinary and influential women from the modern quilting world at the Drake Hotel located in downtown Chicago, Illinois.
- Shop Hop Thursday, April 16, 2015
- Open Social Thursday night, April 16, 2015
- Classes and lunches for Friday and Saturday
- Access to Sewtopia’s Sewing Lounge after classes are done
- Swaps and any challenges (if you choose to participate)
The first teacher is Latifah Saafir of The Quilt Engineer. She pushed the boundaries of modern quilting by “coloring outside the line.” When you look at her works, it’s not simply straight piecing. She uses curves and color that makes the projects pop. Creativity has always been Latifah Saafir’s lifeline but, life got hectic and it got away from in her early thirties. Having sewn her whole life and with a lifetime love of quilting she stumbled upon modern quilting in 2009 and for the first time found her voice as an artist. She dove in head first. Having just finished her first quilt, Latifah co-founded the LA Modern Quilt Guild and subsequently the Modern Quilt Guild. Her engineering background lends a very methodical approach to design but, also gives her ammunition for figuring out how to put together difficult blocks. As a result you’ll find lots of challenging techniques and innovate designs in her work.
The second teacher is Rita Hodge of Red Pepper Quilts. She continues to amaze her readers and followers project after project. Rita’s works are bright and refreshing. To what seems to be effortless work, her combination of fabric choices makes each project unique. Quilting is her passion and fabric is her obsession. Rita’s quilting style is fresh and modern using simple and often traditional design ideas to make colorful quilts. The blog Red Pepper Quilts was started in early 2009, it is a journal of her creative self. Rita hopes to show readers that easy to make quilts can be really striking, and that by taking small risks in fabric and color selection the final product won’t disappoint. It is all about sharing her knowledge. She hopes to inspire and challenge other quilters to create without fear of breaking the rules, pick up the rotary cutter and use their fabric stash, as well as learn new techniques
The best part of getting together for the weekend is letting us take you to the best fabric and quilt stores in the area. A shop hop is like a pub crawl only you’re shopping instead of drinking. At the time of registration we will ask if you want to have a spot on the bus. There will be prizes and games on the bus. The shops will offer special giveaways and sale prices to you as well.
Enjoy the virtual shop hop for the week of the event. Each shop will offer special giveaways and sale prices to you as well. Shop in your jammies! After check-in you’ll receive the list of virtual stores offering special discounts and prizes. You’ll have a whole week to take advantage.
Sewtopia’s Sewing Lounge will be open Friday April 17, 2015 at 9am in the morning for classes. We will leave it open and it will close that night at midnight. It will reopen on Friday and Saturday at 9:00am to midnight. Sunday’s schedule will be 8am to noon.
If you’re bringing a machine or items don’t worry about carrying them back to your room – we’ll lock up every night for you. This time is yours to finish up class projects and other sewing projects.
General notions will be provided. Irons, cutting mats, rotary cutters, even thread! (THANKS AURIFIL!)
Sewtopia will do one official secret swap that attendees can participate in. After you register, we will send you out an email asking questions and then with those answers we’ll pair folks up. We ask that that you bring your swap item to the event and we’ll plan to swap them Saturday night!
Smalls Swap | #sewtopiaswap
- If you’re on Instagram please use this hashtag so others can cheer you on and your creative process
- $money limit is $15 dollars, don’t break the bank!
- Bring your swap item wrapped to Sewtopia Chicago
- Make sure there’s something saying who it’s from like a label or a slip of paper
- Smalls category would be anything smaller than a 24×24 pillow or mini, mug rug, pin cushion, something for a sewing area, or a pouch
- Make something that you love, out of fabrics you adore.
- The folks of Sewtopia will do the secret swap Friday night after the sewing lounge closes. The swap items will be at your sewing station for Saturday morning for you to open.
- Don’t worry if you don’t do the swap. . . we will only hand out swap gifts to those that participated.
- Questions – email me and I’ll collect them all in a FAQs email to everyone.