28 Feb Spring Online Hoffman Fabric Challenge
Sewtopia and Hoffman Fabrics have teamed up to offer you a Virtual Fabric Challenge. We have chosen to spotlight some 6 of the Me+You Indah hand-dyed modern Batiks. Straight from Bali, participants can expect high quality, exciting, and fresh black & white prints for this challenge.
The guidelines are simple:
- Sign up will be on March 8th (Past Sewtopia Attendees have priority registration)
- You will receive 6 fat quarters (no cost to participate besides $3.00 fee)
- Sewtopia will ship the fabric at the end of March
- Make anything with the challenge fabric
- Only Hoffman Fabrics can be added, solids or prints
- Deadline for the submissions will be May 31st at midnight
- Since this is an online challenge, your submission must be a high resolution picture emailed to us at email@example.com
- We’d love to follow your creative process!
- Use the #hashtags: #indahbatikschallenge | #hoffmanfabrics | #sewtopiavirtualchallenge
We can’t wait to see what you create!
Your projects will be entered for some great prizes!
- $100 Visa Gift Card
- $125 coupon off for next Sewtopia event *transferable*
- Surprise Half Yard Bundle of Me+You Fabrics for 6 month
- $50 Visa Gift Card
- Surprise Half Yard Bundle of Me+You Fabrics
We loved learning the process of how Hoffman Fabric batikers hand-dying their fabric. They start with he highest-quality greige (aka gray) goods (100% cotton fabric). Then they hand dye each piece. To create our batiks, the artisans at their factory engrave a metal stamp for each design. Next, the batiker dips the stamp (aka “chop”) in hot wax and stamps the fabric to create the batik. The wax is then melted off in hot water. We recycle the leftover wax to be used again in another design. Next, our fabric spends some time in the Balinese sunshine to bring out the richest colors. As the fabrics sunbathe, the rinse water with exhausted dyes and bits of wax is run through a modern water-filtration system. The water runs through a series of filters and cisterns. Once the water is clean and at a natural pH level (yes, we test it), the water can be released into the environment. This is Hoffman’s Planet Positive effort to keep our world healthy.